For 2021, there is one new proposed policy and minor edits were approved for two current policies. There are also minor updates to program Membership Agreements and Rules.
Note that the temporary change to the application of the Penalty and Interest Policy announced in April to assist those stewards unable to meet payment deadlines is expected to end December 31, 2020. The extended 90-day grace period for the application of interest will return to 30 days per the policy.
- Deduction and Exclusion Policy: Following two years of working with stewards to refine data and verification requirements for claiming deductions from their annual reports of material quantities, the program boards have approved a draft policy for steward consultation. The introduction of the new Policy will further assist in clarity around “exclusions” and “deduction” definitions, scope, and substantiation of materials not entering the residential waste stream. The guiding language in the policy is identical to the guidance provided in the Guidebook for Stewards. Questions and feedback about the draft policy should be sent to email@example.com by November 13, 2020. Steward comments will be considered by the program boards in December as part of their final review and approval of the policy.
- Policy for Steward Initiated Adjustment Requests: Approved changes provide clarity on use of calculators and actual material quantities and the use of Average Bill of Material (ABOM) groupings.
- Dispute Resolution Policy: Approved amendment allows for stewards to leave dispute resolution by providing notice to the program(s).
As part of the wind up activities and Ministerial directions for Stewardship Ontario’s MHSW Program and the transition of the Blue Box Program, separate versions of Stewardship Ontario policies have been created to include consideration for wind up and transition requirements.
Updated Policies, Membership Agreements and Rules can be accessed here.
There are no changes to policies introduced at the beginning of 2019, other than updated dates.
There are no changes to Membership Agreements for Recycle BC and MMSW. MMSM Rules contain no changes other than updated dates.
For Stewardship Ontario, RPRA approved the Wind Up Plan for MHSW and with it the Rules regarding the payments of fees for the MHSW Program and its policies. The Stewardship Ontario 2020 Blue Box Rules are currently waiting RPRA’s approval.
Deductions: The 2020 Guidebook for Stewards contains additional examples and information regarding deductions. All stewards that are claiming permitted deductions in their 2020 reports must complete and submit the Deductions Form on the WeRecycle Portal. The programs reserve the right to deny deductions or require stewards to supply additional information in support of their deduction.
Rules and Membership Agreements:
- 2020 Stewardship Ontario Blue Box Rules: Amendments to 2019 Rules due to COVID-19 reporting deadline extension.
- 2020 Stewardship Ontario MHSW Rules: Revised Rules outline steward reporting and payment obligations for the period commencing January 1, 2020 until wind up of the MHSW Program. Rules also contain Steward Initiated Adjustment Policy in Appendix E and Penalty and Interest Policy in Appendix F as standalone policies. Please see the Windup Plan page for details the MHSW Wind Up page for details.
- 2020 MMSM Rules: Changes related to COVID-19 reportnig deadline extension.
- Rules remain in force from the time that they are approved by the MMSM Board and are posted on the MMSM website until the time they are replaced on the MMSM website with MMSM Board-approved Rules. The only minor changes are the updated dates.
- Recycle BC Membership Agreement: Changes related to COVID-19 reporting deadline extension.
- MMSW Membership Agreement: Changes related to COVID-19 reporting deadline extension.
A number of mostly minor changes have been made to some of the policies that were introduced at the beginning of 2018. The changes were approved by program boards following steward consultation. There have also been minor changes to the Rules for Stewardship Ontario and MMSM, along with the Membership Agreements for Recycle BC and MMSW. In Ontario, the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority has also approved the changes to Stewardship Ontario’s Blue Box and MHSW Rules and the policies that are attached as appendices to the Rules. Updates are effective January 1, 2019, and links to the final documents are included in the below summaries.
Penalty and Interest Policy: Revisions that advance a more consistent approach to charges for non-compliance include non-registration and non-reporting being subject to 5% and 10% penalties rather than interest charges, which will now only apply to late payments. See the 2019 Penalty and Interest Policy.
Parallel Importation Policy: This proposed policy was under consideration by the program boards with an implementation date of January 1, 2020. The program boards have decided to further consider the policy during the first quarter of 2019 and have deferred review until March 2019. At that time, the Parallel Importation Policy may or may not be approved for implementation for 2020 reports. Stewards will be kept informed of developments
Onboarding Policy: Revisions to the existing policy that applies consistent principles to new stewards will provide greater clarity in their initial year of supplying PPP, including the need to file two reports in year one and confirming that fees should be paid for all periods in which PPP is supplied to consumers. See the 2019 Onboarding Policy.
Steward-Initiated Adjustment Policy: Update to the applicable dates for the 2019 calendar year and clarification of a steward’s access to net credits arising from an adjustment request. See the 2019 Steward-Initiated Adjustment Policy.
Deductions: The 2019 Guidebook will contain additional information regarding deductions. All stewards that are claiming permitted deductions in their 2019 reports must complete and submit the Deductions Form on the WeRecycle Portal. The programs reserve the right to deny deductions or require stewards to supply additional information in support of their deduction.
Rules and Membership Agreement Updates
2019 Stewardship Ontario Blue Box Rules: Minor changes to update dates for the 2019 calendar year. See the 2019 Rules.
2019 Stewardship Ontario MHSW Rules: Minor changes to update dates for the 2019 calendar year and to reference future Wind-Up Plan. See the 2019 Rules.
2019 MMSM Rules: Minor changes to update dates for the 2019 calendar year. See the 2019 Rules.
Recycle BC Membership Agreement: Minor changes to update dates for the 2019 calendar year and to improve harmonization. See the 2019 MA.
MMSW Membership Agreement: Minor changes to update dates for the 2019 calendar year and to improve harmonization. See the 2019 MA.
Final Changes to 2018 Membership Agreements, Rules and Policies
- Proposed changes to Membership Agreements, Rules and Policies (available below) were shared with stewards in October 2017 – the programs thank the many stewards that participated in webinars and provided submissions during the consultation period
- After considering steward feedback, the program boards determined that most of the proposed changes will take effect on January 1, 2018, with some notable exceptions:
- Voluntary Steward provisions have already been implemented
- The proposed policy for Parallel Importation has been deferred and will NOT be implemented for 2018
- The proposed policy for Reporting and Deductions has been deferred and will NOT be implemented for 2018, however stewards claiming deductions in 2018 reports will be required to provide information to support analysis that will guide future policy development
- The scope of the proposed policy for Administration Fees, Interest and Penalties has been revised to exclude administration fees.
- A Summary of the final changes and the final Membership Agreements, Rules and Policies are posted below; information (presentations, Q&As) from webinars and consultation is also available below.
STEWARDSHIP ONTARIO – BLUE BOX
STEWARDSHIP ONTARIO – MHSW
October 17 Webinar for PPP Stewards:
October 18 Webinar for MHSW Stewards
Proposed Membership Agreements, Rules and Policies
Multi-Material Stewardship Western
Multi-Material Stewardship Manitoba
Stewardship Ontario – Blue Box
Stewardship Ontario – MHSW